The registration is closed
Stress in Dentistry - A workshop on coping skills and wellness. – Monday, January 23, 2023
Category 3 – 3 CE Points
Speaker: Dr. Sally Safa
Location: Hyatt Place Toronto/ Mississauga Centre - 5787 Hurontario St, Mississauga, ON L4Z 2H7
Parking is Free
HPDA Members - free
This is a great opportunity for you to give a gift of mindfulness to your team by registering them for this presentation.
HPDA Members can register their staff at a special rate of $60 per staff member
5:30 pm - 6:30 pm Registration and Dinner
6:30 pm - 6:40 pm Welcome and Announcements
6:40 pm - 9:00 pm Workshop
9:00 - 9:10 pm Q&ACourse Description:
Chronic stress changes the physiology of the brain. Dr. Safa will share how mindfulness or mind training can rewire the brain, and that the practice of mindfulness can reduce stress, improve performance and increase wellness that ultimately has the potential to:
1. Heighten self-awareness of stress that exists in our professional lives
2. Review how intention for well-being can have a positive impact personally and professionally
3. Review tools that can allow you to rebalance quickly
4. Review coping skills based on science that can help combat stress and help us live well
1. Define and outline the difference between chronic and acute stress and the effects of stress on the body AND the brain;
2. Differentiate between a Stress Response versus a Stress Reaction;
3. Define MBSR and how tools taught in MBSR can help manage and cope with stress;
4. Practice the skills that can help us live well including breathing exercises, body scans and meditations. We will have a chance to discuss these practices in detail and how and when they can serve you best.
Dr. Sally Safa is a board-certified Periodontist. An alumna of the University of Toronto, she maintains a teaching position as clinical instructor. She also works in private practice in North York where she enjoys all aspects of periodontal and implant-related patient care. She is a passionate advocate of wellness for dentists and dental students. Dr. Safa’s Master's research was in the field of Psychoneuroimmunology, understanding the effects of stress on the body. This background combined with her education in the field of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction has allowed her to share the science behind both stress and mindfulness and how it can help reduce stress in our day to day lives at home and the office. With humour and enthusiasm, she shares this knowledge with audiences of all healthcare backgrounds.
In this program, Dr. Sally Safa will delve into the science behind stress and the difference between acute and chronic stress and the effects on the body and brain. The difference between a Stress Response versus a Stress Reaction will be discussed – what they mean, and which one is better. The science backing Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) will be presented including tools taught in MBSR that can help dentists combat day to day stress in both their personal and professional lives.
Each attendee will receive a small gift to assist them on their wellness journey, on behalf of our event sponsors.